For me, resolutions about what not to do have never really worked. Likewise when I’ve focused on “what” I will or won’t do, as opposed to “why.” However, the healthy resolution below, made to myself many years ago, has brought vibrant health, sustained energy, and incredibly positive ripple effects into other parts of my life. Set aside the time to thoughtfully prepare your food (it takes less than you think, particularly once you get going), and consciously consume it. Your health and your life will change.
– Buy a set of small votive candles to light each time you start a meal at home or at work – a gentle push to remind yourself to slow down and create and consume the food consciously.
– Post a reminder (maybe the graphic on this page?) on your refrigerator, in your pantry, in your car, or any other place where you are making food decisions.
– Keep a copy of your commitment with you in your wallet or purse, and re-read before you go grocery shopping.
– Make a family/couple game of it – resolve to spend a couple of minutes before cooking (or before eating out) talking about how you can use this meal to love your body.
– Remember that loving yourself with your food goes beyond just what the food IS – it’s also how it looks, smells, and feels in your mouth. A few minutes setting a table and plating the food consciously can make the meal MUCH more pleasurable!
– Enjoy, and happy, healthy new year to you!