Craveworthy, HEALTHY pizza!
Hint: all that greasy cheese actually doesn’t even have that much flavor – you won’t miss it!
- Use thin-crust, light-on-the-cheese pizza as a base, and then PILE on the veggies! Pretty much anything goes – onions, peppers, arugula (my fave), garlic, broccoli, eggplant, sweet potato, kale, zucchini (sliced thinly using a peeler) etc. Pile it on and eat salad with your hands!
- (My favorite tip) Saute a huge handful of pressed garlic cloves in a little olive oil, add a little parsley, and use as the sauce, as a topping, or as a dipping sauce for your pizza. Adds mad flavor, fun, and the healthy goodness of garlic!
- When you make homemade pizza, experiment with using very light cheese, or no cheese at all! Or, switch in unexpected cheeses with more flavor than mozzarella – like gorgonzola. A little goes a LONG way on flavor!
- Another way to amp up flavor and healthiness is with herbs: try oregano, rosemary, thyme … and of course, crushed red pepper!
- Pizza re-heating tip: place it in an iron or stainless steel skillet with just a tiny bit of oil … heat over medium heat, cover at the beginning if needed to warm up toppings. The crust will be crispy and delicious!
- Avoiding gluten? Some of the new cauliflower-crust recipes are AMAZING, and taste/feel just like regular thin crust!